a fiction writer,
I’m the author of Sourdough and Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, published by MCD×FSG in the United States, Tokyo Sogensha in Japan, and many others around the world. I am also …
- co-owner of Fat Gold and co-author of this guide to extra virgin olive oil
- one half of The Cotton Modules, a band
- creator of this app, this e-book template, etc.
My new novel, Moonbound, is forthcoming from MCD×FSG in June 2024.
My main newsletter goes out once every 29 ½ days. It ranges widely, across books and media and modern life, and I always try to make it feel like a note from a friend.
I also send an occasional lab newsletter about creative computing and new avenues on the internet. It is devoted to the topics that are simply too nerdy for my main newsletter.
I’ve published a lot of material across a few different internet eras. Here’s a directory of what’s available on this website and elsewhere.
- The Writer and the Witch ★
- The Wrong Plane
- Last Beautiful
- The Truth About the East Wind
- The CounselorTerraform
- Proposal for a Book to Be Adapted Into a Movie Starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson
- Julie RubiconFacebook
- The Sleep Consultant
- My Father the Druid, My Mother the Tree
- The Conspiracy Museum (The Atlantic)
- Elyse Flayme and the Final FloodMIT Technology Review
- Harriet Amber in the Conan ArcadeCommercial Type
- Author’s NoteGoogle
- In the StacksBrand New Box
If you’re here because you are curious about my writing and/or thinking, I encourage you to start with my novels. Both are available wherever books can be purchased or borrowed. The audiobook editions are great, too.
Thanks for stopping by!